PDA

View Full Version : Backtracked Thread - Much to Discuss (Magneto/Magda) (Closed)

PaleRider
04-14-2007, 11:47 PM
(ooc: this is a scene worked on through email -- set before the week time jump, after Magneto brought Magda and Toad from the Xavier Mansion.)

--Magneto--

Erik Lehnsherr ? better known to the world as the mutant villain Magneto ? did not need to open his eyes to view the vastness of Avalon M. Instead, his control over magnetism allowed him to feel the metallic space station which offered him sanctuary well above the Earth below. From space, he could look down upon a world of homo sapiens like the god that he was, not because he thought of himself as a deity but rather because he recognized that he was the next step of the evolutionary process. After all, he was homo sapien superior. His kind was that which would be left when the current human race was extinct.

Why then had it proven to be so difficult to take those next steps? The world was filled with mutants of immense power, yet they faced oppression and tyranny at the hands of a weaker race. It sickened Magnus to his very core, and was one of the reasons he stood up for his people in Washington where his plans had been so close to their ultimate fruition. But once again, Charles? X-Men had stepped into his path and disrupted everything. The theft of the Sentinels from a secure military base, using them as a pawn to acquire the Genoshan island, faking their destruction only to continue reprogramming them for his attack? all of it for nothing.

And then, to arrive at Xavier?s home and find his wife amongst them, with that sniveling Toad at her side. He?d sought help from an unlikely source, thinking that perhaps some may have grown tired of Charles? senseless fight for equality. Instead he had found the remainder of his family. At least Magda had elected to follow him to their new home, though she insisted on bringing Toynbee as well. Erik?s two children, however, would not follow their father in his quest, a choice that days later still ate at him. He did not look forward to the day when he once again crossed paths with the X-Men, simply because he feared he would look across the battlefield and find the faces of Pietro and Wanda staring back at him.

Magnus opened his eyes now. Standing in Avalon?s main observatory, he gazed through the magnificent clear viewing window at the planet they orbited. If the battle lines were to be drawn, he would need more than a handful of robots to use in this game of chess. He would need an army to do his bidding.

--Magda--

If Magda could call herself anything, it was patient. However, there was no room for that right now. After traveling to Asteroid M again, a place that had for a short time been her prison, it took little time for her to find her bearings, and her reasoning for following her husband back here came into sharp perspective again. Now that there were no family members shouting, or begging her to choose, demanding that the whole of her willpower to maintain her sanity, almost crippling relief struck her.

The convergence of her entire family onto the lawn of the Xavier Institute in a matter of minutes had to have been the worst stroke of bad luck she'd ever had in her life -- not that it was bad to finally meet her other child, or to discover that her husband was safe. The timing, however, had left much to be desired.

And the regret she'd felt at looking at Pietro and Wanda as she was carried away was something that could not easily be forgotten. She could dress up her departure however she wanted; she could say she chose to leave because she was honoring the promise she made first, but it all just boiled down to the same thing: she had abandoned them all over again. She sought Erik out now, not because she believed he had any obligation to alleviate this pain for her, but because she knew she had the right to take some pleasure in the fact that he was alive and safe, and that she'd done what she promised to do.

She came back.

And he did too.

It did not take her long to feel him out, and once she'd tracked him to the room he was presently in, she shut the door behind her for privacy and spoke. "Erik." Though the initial word came out strong, demanded attention, her demeanor appeared to shrink the minute he did take full notice. Magda sighed, voice tremulous and weak. "We have a lot to discuss."

--Magneto--

His head turned as her voice echoed through the quiet observation chamber. Had Magnus been more attuned to the actual workings of the station, he would have been able to sense her approach in the shifting and movement of the metallic elements of his asteroid haven. It was a specific use of his powers he?d been working on, one that required deep concentration. But presently, Magneto had been lost in other thoughts, and his wife?s entrance into the chamber was a surprise. What had yet to be determined was whether or not it would be a pleasant one.

?Yes, it would seem that we do,? Erik said, clasping his hands behind his back in a militaristic fashion as he continued to stare out into the vastness of space. He?d forgotten how long it?d been since they?d last shared a quiet moment together, but his mind soon flashed back to their goodbye on Genosha. The tender moment they shared then as Magneto prepared for his assault on Washington was perhaps the first real moment between the two of them since he?d discovered she still lived. Though he?d never admit it to anyone but her, it was a moment he treasured and hoped for for so long.

But then, when the dust had settled and the attack was finished, he found her residing with the very people who had opposed him. The very group of mutants who had stood against him and chose to fight for the humans and their prejudicial ways rather than against such tyranny. Moreover, she still seemed to share a certain affection for Toynbee, a relationship he could not comprehend and had little opportunity to ask her about. To Magda?s credit, she lived up to her promise and chose to come with him to his haven here in space. But within his core, there was a part of him that was still pained at the sight of his wife in bed with the enemy.

After what could only seem like an eternity in the silence of space, Erik finally turned to face his bride and motioned for her to sit at one of the many benches in the observation dome. He?d tried to create an Earth-like atmosphere in the room, knowing that those who committed themselves to living in space as part of his Acolytes would lose morale if they were away from their home planet for long periods of time. As Magneto took his seat, he adjusted the long scarlet robes he now wore so that they would flow from the bench to the artificial ground beneath him.

--Magda--

Magda stepped further in to the room when he voiced his agreement to speak with her. She chose not to take any seat until invited, just one little way of showing acquiescence, something that her own mother would have once said was long overdue coming from her. In her old tribe, it was simply accepted that a wife had a duty to her husband, and that she remained or departed only by his word. This was a pact she'd broken many times over, of course. And while all she wanted to do was make the man sit still and keep him in one place right now, bellow at him for the worry he caused her over the last few months, she also knew she had no right.

And so she sat when he gestured for her to do so. While she'd come into the room proud, convinced of what she had to say, now she could barely look him in the face. She stared down, one gloved hand toying with the bare, where the ring that'd on Genosha been kept in a chain around her neck -- as it had been since she left him all those years ago -- had found its way back to a finger. She'd placed it there back when she was at the mansion with Pietro and Toynbee -- Pietro saw it but she saw the pointedness in his refusal to say anything. He couldn't argue when she made a decision and had learned that since Fall's Edge. The motion that'd landed her there, effectively just as much a prisoner as Toad had been, was admitting her true name and dropping the alias -- in front of some people who'd been led to believe for months that she had no connection to Magneto whatsoever.

And now sitting in his presence, everything she'd done since he left felt foolish, because she had no idea how he might have reacted to know it. And because she'd given him no reason to trust her since he brought her to Genosha. It was those same things that made her so slow to begin now.

"It is not easy for me to say," she began, swallowing a little courage then, "but I know it has to be -- no matter what else happens. If I had never left, your children would know you better -- they wouldn't be the angry adults they are now. If I'd at least been a better mother to them, that might have changed." She wrung her hands then, now gazing at nothing. "And if I'd been a better mother, perhaps I would have thought to bring Anya with me that night when I went down for some bread, instead of leaving her up in her room."

Shaking her head, she pushed her fingers up through her hair and sighed, finally chancing a look up at him.

"Since we met again, I have been -- intolerably cruel to you. The time since you left for Washington has helped me to realize that I would not see your kindness for what it was, or accept it, and for that and all those other things, I am sorry, Erik. I truly am. It took -- having someone need me the way I've needed you to see that."

--Magneto--

Magneto listened somberly as if he were a priest taking in a confession. It struck him as a rather strange turn for Magda to come to him now and lay everything out on the table as she was doing. Perhaps the weeks apart, a time clouded by uncertainty and anxiety about what had happened to him after the conflict in America, was now prompting Magda to open up while she knew she still had him here to speak to. Erik would like to think that was the case; but as Magda spent more time with the man who had become Magneto, she would find out that, despite the best efforts of the X-Men and the humans they fought so diligently to protect, he?s not so easily disposed of.

Erik looked down at Magda?s hands, catching a glimpse of her wedding ring before one hand slipped into the other in a nervous dance. He nearly reached out to calm them when she brought up Anya, and instantly his stomach climbed into his throat. He was ashamed of himself for not having spent more time thinking back to the days they?d lived in the Carpathian Mountains, having been one of the few fortunate families to have escaped from Auschwitz.

And then, with their daughter in tow, they picked up and moved to Vinnitsa, temporarily staying at an inn until they could find and afford a place of their own. That dream proved to be short lived. Erik closed his eyes and could still see the flames dancing from the windows of the inn, could still hear his daughters screams of pain and terror as he stood helplessly outside, trying to call on the powers he?d only been able to summon once before. He could still feel the hands of the KGB agents holding him down as he cried for his freedom, knowing that little Anya only had moments left, not wanting her to be alone any longer. He could feel the moist dirt against his cheek as they would not yield to his agony, and the taste of his own blood in his mouth flashed back so vibrantly that he was forced to stand from the bench where they now sat.

Folding his arms over his robed chest, Erik?s head lowered as he spoke. ?There was much about that night that I wish could be taken back as well,? he said solemnly, the memories of his daughter?s dead body tattooed into his mind. A precursor of the life he would find himself leading, Erik had not hesitated to murder those responsible for her death. They?d held him captive, prevented him from saving her young and innocent life. They could have allowed him to at least do that before turning their fists toward his body, and he?d made them pay for that lack of compassion with a dose of his own.

But it wasn?t the vengeance he now lived to regret; instead, it was the look he saw on Magda?s face as she watched him slay these men in cold blood, the terror in her eyes much like the fright in little Anya?s voice, except Magda?s gaze was turned to Erik. As horrible as they were, the surrounding mob was not that which she was afraid of. It was he ? the man who would one day be called Magneto ? who fueled her fear.

A man like Erik Lehnsherr did not find himself without courage very often. In fact, one might say he had too much of it, so frequently choosing to take the full weight of mutantkind?s fight for superiority onto his own shoulders. But here in this room, though it was just the two of them, it took everything that Magnus had to summon the courage to turn to face her now. One of the most powerful mutants on the planet found himself fighting for the strength to look into his wife?s eyes, their deep blue so much like their daughter?s. He took a step closer, extending a hand he hoped she would take. ?There is nothing to apologize for. The past is where it has always been ? behind us. All I know is that I?m thankful we?re here now, with time left to still have a future.?

--Magda--

Magda regarded the words spoken to her with the same confusion and surprise as the hand that extended toward her. She laughed, looking pained. In truth she hadn't known what to expect; if Erik had shunned her completely or taken her confession as insincere, she would not have blamed him, however. He'd offered his aid and comfort before, as he was doing so now, and she'd all but spat in his face before, taken every attempt to treat her as a human being as placation or sheer ignorance. That he'd leave himself open to that sort of ungratefulness again, whether it was truly present or not, made her hurt just a little for him, and hope that she would not disappoint him again.

Toynbee, and later Pietro, had truly saved her, simply by not allowing her to shrink back and disappear. She was not allowed to exist in their lives by her own terms as she'd insisted she be in Erik's presence, because she felt responsible for them. He was her husband, true, and true still, by the custom of her people, the only thing that could truly sever her from him was if he were to tell her to leave, himself. She'd often wondered in the months since Washington DC if her abrasive behavior had been some attempt on her part to make him turn from her.

After all, as the first one to be abandoned and her husband, he had every right to walk away. Not her.

"You are a good man, Erik," she said sadly. "You always have been. And I will do my best to be worthy." Finally, hesitant, she reached to take his hand with her bare one.