PDA

View Full Version : Location: Genosha

Desperado
10-24-2007, 02:38 AM
On an island of the coast of Africa, a man was pondering the past, and the unknown future.

Not that this was an uncommon thing, as many people throughtout the course of their daily lives take a moment to think of the most important questions: Who are we? Where are we going? What am I doing with my life? When do things change? There were questions that strayed the mind of many, and often times the past directed what choices will be made when the hands of the clock reach their turning point. No, the fact that somewhere down there was a man thinking about what he was doing wasn't a major concern. A wink in time one might say.

Until you considered the man in question...

Sitting in a bar called "Josie's," though the owner seemed to look like a male gorilla in a suit, the man sometimtes called Grammar but more frequently known as Rolf Erikson was sitting in a booth in the corner, awaiting his drink and letting his mind wander. The bar was a grimy place in one of the back alleys of Genosha, where most could wither under the scowls of those that greeted you at the door. There was no point in checking for weapons; everyone was a mutant at Josie's, and those with minor powers were most certainly armed anyway. Rolf smiled at the notion. He was both a mutant and armed. Best to be prepared for anything, he thought grimly. Despite the fact that no one had bothered him here, he'd prefer to keep it that way. This was a hagard place, but the drinks were good, and most would leave you alone if you didn't cause trouble. A few mutants were playing a game of darts, and Rolf could wonder how long it would be before one suspected the other of cheating. Won't be too long, he thought, chances are one of 'ems cheating, or suspecting anyway. He could've used his telepathy to find out, but decided not to. There was no point to it, and he other things on his mind anyways.

A waitress with showing more green skin than clothes walked over to his booth, glass in hand. "Here you go sugar," she said in a way that Rolf couldn't tell was supposed to be faking sincerity or just rehersal as she set the drink on the table. Rolf reached into his pocket and paid her, tipping her fairly well. "Thanks," he said as he reached for the glass, it's dark foamy liquid only hinting at the dangers within. "No problem," she said with the same fakeness, and then he was alone again in the booth. Rolf shook his head and took a sip, noting that for all the dangers, it tasted pretty damm good. I'd order another, if I wasn't about to have a meeting. Still, it is good to loosen up just a bit, he thought as he took another swig. The thoughts of previous events had been swirling through his head, and it was nice to have a reprieve.

In short, it had become dangerous for him to live in Genosha. Granted, he had been in charge of a Xavier funded school operating in secret in order to keep the peace, but things had gotten much worse. The team had discovered a nasty plot, ran by one of the former headmasters-Brac Jameson aka Graviton-calling himself the Wicked Man, who had tried to take control of mutants everywhere with Hydra-inspired technology. He was working with Thad Jones aka Charmer, a criminal mastermind running for the Presidency of Genosha, and Jack McCain aka The Informant, the master of information to try and declare war on humanity. XC had gotten involved naturally, and had managed to stop the plot. But despite their daring do, there had been something that the team had not counted on.

Thad Jones had been elected anyway. He was now President of Genosha. And thanks to Informant, he now knew about the school and the members. Then SHIELD had gotten involved. XC wasn't safe anymore. Charmer would not hesitate to strike at the school, and while Rolf and the others were willing to fight it out, Nick Fury and the blue boys of SHIELD wouldn't have of it. The school was being shut down, and most were being transfered to other schools. He and the other headmaster Jenna Carson had tried to stop it, but they had failed.

And so he was here. He hadn't left, despite the foolish human telling him that it was imperative to do so. Rolf understood of course, considering that he knew Thad the best having a past that shared him, but didn't want to leave. There was something wrong about all it. It never should've happened, he thought, I mean, how the hell was I to know that rat bastard would win the damm race anyway? Maybe it's a Magneto thing. The people here are used to corruption, so they don't think about it for elections, or maybe they just don't care...

And so he sat at the booth, drenching himself in the past, reliving what had gone so incredibly wrong over the last few weeks. He was waiting for a certain someone, and had no problem with taking time to look back.

And the future? Well dear reader, hold tight, for that's about to begin...

MultipleMan
10-31-2007, 01:12 AM
He went by the name Jim Maddox, though if you were foolish enough to believe it. You might mistakenly assume it was Jamie Madrox, essentially the same and yet so different. Jim had lived a few years in and around Genosha, he seemed to be content with working in the shadows. The question of whether he was a dupe or not had ceased to cross his mind.

As the man strolled past a window he stopped and checked himself out. Here was a man who knew how to dress. His brown leather shoes shone with a nice new coat of mirror quality sheen and no speck of dirt was going to gather on his very expensive grey pin striped suit. Jim's well manicured hands deftly adjusted his pale green tie. The white gold cuff links shone nicely as did the pricey rolex custom piece adorned on the mutant's wrist. Jim finished off his quick inspection by examining his neck for any traces of fat deposit, which there were none, and then grinned his million dollar smile.

Genosha had been good to Jim, he was wealthy, powerful and assertive. There had been times of less levity, but Jim pushed all that aside. Any memories of his former life didn't matter any longer. There was an affinity to his time and place, the present, it was good. Jim entered the establishment, Josie's by the sign above the door. Numbers filled the man's head. Numbers were important in his line of work, numbers included; patrons, possible weapons, rounds of ammunition and people with grudges. Jim looked around. There seemed to be one way and one way out. Perhaps an exit was available to the back lot via the bar itself.

A single trickle of sweat appeared at the back of Jim's neck, he quickly swiped it away and shrugged his shoulders. Eying the bar tender, Jim followed his nose to a free spot amongst a few regulars. "Afternoon!" he announced forecfully and in a rather fake manor "I'll have a bloody mary, extra ice" his killer grin appeared again and Jim nodded at the bar staff that grunted and got to work. Jim spun around and wrested his elbows on the bar as he scanned the area. He flicked his head and brushed aside some length of hair from his face.

"That'll be thirteen bucks" a not so friendly voice behind him called. Jim slowly turned and left a twenty before quipping "Keep it, I heard there's a school for manners around here. Add that to your tuition fund." Jim stepped away from the bar and heard the man muttering something about taking him one on one outside. "No thanks I get enough exercise pushing my luck" he smiled before venturing towards booths in the back. Flicking his hair away from his face once more, Jim stood by a table inhabited by another genleman. He nodded at Rolf, "May I sit?" he asked casually as if the two were strangers.

Jim took a sip of his drink and made a face, "God this is terrible, ahkk I don't know how people manage to palate this crap." His tongue rolled out as he tried to manage the new sensations. Making himself regret it, Jim took another taste. "Oh no, this is nothing like I thought it would be." He turned and pointed a finger at the barman. Shaking his head, the once proud and sophisticated man was now feeling his class status drop just by hanging around in this place.

Desperado
11-10-2007, 04:44 AM
As the man walked into the bar and ordered his drink, Rolf could only shake his blonde head with a small smile slowly appearing on the corners of his mouth. He had heard the phrase "a fish out of water" before, but he had never thought he would have seen it acted out in front of him in such a manner. From the fancy pinstriped gray suit, to the rolex that flashed when the light hit just right, Rolf had gathered that the man was more accustomed to crunching numbers and hog-nogging with company big-wigs than coming to a place like Josie's. This could be bad.

Rolf watched while the guy ordered a bloody mary, taking a moment to scan the room for the reactions of the crowd. He had a bad feeling that something bad was going to happen, and he hoped that he wouldn't have to postpone his meeting to save one dipshit from getting shanked in this trashy place. Doesn't help that he's trying way too damm hard to fit in, he thought with a grimace. He took another sip of his drink and looked around again. Sure enough, most of the patrons weren't certain what to make of this man. Some had gone back to their conversations, mellow as the alcohol that waited in their glasses. There was another audible 'thok' as the dart players went back to their game, but a few kept their eyes still.

<< "May I sit?" >>

Breaking his reprieve like a bullet through glass, which in this environment, could occur at any time, Rolf turned to find the fancy man standing had moved to the front of his table. Giving the man a once over, he nodded. "Sure thing," he said with a casualness that he didn't really feel, "it's a free country." He took a second, inside realizing the irony of that statement. Ever since Charmar had basically taken over the country, Rolf had doubted that Thad would ever keep it free...

<< "God this is terrible, ahkk I don't know how people manage to palate this crap. Oh no, this is nothing like I thought it would be." >>

"Well, sometimes it helps to have low expectations. That way, you're never disappointed," Rolf replied with a small smirk. Was this the guy he was to meet? Rolf seriously doubted that. Even without using his telepathy, he could tell this guy was nervous from the small talk that he was forcing. Like a square peg in a round hole, it just wasn't working. "Never liked a bloody mary anyway, tell ya the truth," he said as his mind raced. That was one of the things he had learned during his many travels as a theif: always keep your mind sharp and your eyes and ears open. Unfortunately he wasn't liking what he was reading. Something was off with this guy. Rolf took another sip with one hand while slipping his other down beneath the table where his side-arm rested. As the glass he held smacked the table he clicked the safety off; the guy would never have known. Unless he's got super-hearing or something like that, Rolf thought, which would be just great...

Deciding to take a more direct approach, with his tranq gun ready in case of emergency, he motioned toward the stranger who sat by him. "No offense, but this doesn't seem like your regular haunt. What exactly are you doing here?"

MultipleMan
11-13-2007, 03:51 AM
Jim hovered around the chair in front of Rolf like the preverbial bar fly, that he was clearly trying to immitate, badly. Hurriedly in response to the casual response of his host, Maddox placed his glass on the table and gave a shrug as he watched some of the redish liquid slosh around, spilling from the sides. He coughed haughtily "Hakk, pepper" he mentioned before sitting. His eyes teared almost instantly out of irritation from the bit of pepper that was stuck to his tonsils. Jim fished out a piece of ice from his drink and plopped it into his mouth.

"I generally have realistic expectations, I try to predict the correct outcome from what I observe around my person." His response to the seated man opposite him, he seemed like a nice enough guy. Jim had a fairly good feeling about Rolf, he generally thought he was a good judge of character. Maddox rose his glass up off the table and took a sip as the other guy did. "I don't like them, but I'd rather not waste what I've already paid for." Another screwed up face and a coughing fit later, Jim placed the half empty vessel on the table.

The suited man wiped his hand on the table before offering it to that of the man across from him. "Hi Jim Maddox, logistics and soon to be incarcerated for aiding and abetting." his grin widened and a small droplet of sweat appeared on Jim's temple. He had brought with him the 'stuff' as was prearranged. "You needed a sure way out of Dodge without getting caught up in the registration thing. Well the ports are closed off by Magistrates and they've disbanded the army in favour of a human led civil guard." he gulped hard, being in his position he had been privvy to certain information, information that once leaked would certainly find its way back to him.

"Listen I'm not too happy about how everything went down, but I can do a lot more good from within than trying to fight some losing battle." Not sure of how to do the exchange, Jim simply slid his arm into his suit jacket and after a bit of rustling produced a plain manilla folder. "There's the paper work, do with it as you please" There wasn't any great speeches, no comfort brought by the insider. He simply shrugged and took another painful attempt at drinking the bloody mary. Jim was a survivor, he'd keep his nose clean and not draw any attention to himself. He'd have suggested that Rolf did the same, but well, he was a coward and couldn't bring himself to talking about it.

Putting on some more fake charm and the guise of what was assumed was worldly, Jim motioned to the gentleman across from him. "The mutant populous are heading into a whole lot of trouble. History as you know tends to repeat itself." he mentioned thinking about the mutates and the past Genoshan political agenda. If the US was going to start registering mutants, Genosha was going to do that and more thanks to the new head honcho.

Desperado
11-21-2007, 02:47 AM
<< "I generally have realistic expectations, I try to predict the correct outcome from what I observe around my person." His response to the seated man opposite him, he seemed like a nice enough guy. Jim had a fairly good feeling about Rolf, he generally thought he was a good judge of character. Maddox rose his glass up off the table and took a sip as the other guy did. "I don't like them, but I'd rather not waste what I've already paid for." >>

Rolf smirked a bit as the man coughed. But as his poker face continued to show in this swanky place that no moral man would ever go, mentally he was frowning. The drink was part of a larger picture. In his mind it made no sense to order something that you didn't like, and only two reasons why one would: Ether they were under orders, or they were trying hard to impress the person who they were sitting with. And I've never known a bloody mary to be an impress drink, he thought, his hand under the table idly waiting, which can mean only one thing...

<< "Hi Jim Maddox, logistics and soon to be incarcerated for aiding and abetting." his grin widened and a small droplet of sweat appeared on Jim's temple. He had brought with him the 'stuff' as was prearranged. "You needed a sure way out of Dodge without getting caught up in the registration thing. Well the ports are closed off by Magistrates and they've disbanded the army in favour of a human led civil guard." >>

"Hello other shoe," Rolf muttered darkly. "The name is Rolf Erikson, though I have a feeling that you already know that." He thought about what the man had said. Magistrates? Human Guard? That makes no sense, Rolf thought, noting that the first thing that Magneto had done since taking over the island was getting rid of every human on the island, and unless Rolf was greatly mistaken Thad would have no interest in bringing in people that weren't on is payroll. That and he hasn't had the time. Sure it's been a few weeks since he was elected, but with so much on the island to do, he'd have no time scramble a task force. We'd have known.

<< "Listen I'm not too happy about how everything went down, but I can do a lot more good from within than trying to fight some losing battle." Not sure of how to do the exchange, Jim simply slid his arm into his suit jacket and after a bit of rustling produced a plain manilla folder. "There's the paper work, do with it as you please"

Putting on some more fake charm and the guise of what was assumed was worldly, Jim motioned to the gentleman across from him. "The mutant populous are heading into a whole lot of trouble. History as you know tends to repeat itself." >>

His reprieve broken, Rolf took a sec to look at the manila folder before him, and laughed. It was a sinple laugh, not mocking nor cruel, but instead caught in the absurdity of it all. If Rolf was the sort of fellow who didn't realize the seriousness of it all, he might've kept on laughing. Unfortunately for the man in front of him, Rolf did realize the seriousness of it all, and was about to something about it. "Hang on for a sec," he spoke as he let his free hand go of his drink and focused a bit on his powers.

Sound was a tricky thing, something that had taken Rolf a time to fully master, but the trick he was about to preform was rather easy. Creating a wave of ambient noise around the table, it would be impossible for anyone to try and listen in. All they would hear was the argument of two men over the recent BCS college poll, but nothing that wold gage interest. Which allows me to ask the tough questions, Rolf thought, his blue eyes steady.

"Alright Jim," he said in a slightly mocked, is-that-your-real-name-voice, "what I've just done is create a ambient field of sound around us, so that no one can listen in." He let that sink in for a moment before continuing. "First things first, who the hell are you working for? The Feds? Spooks? I'm aware you're a spy of some sort. Telepathy's funny that way." He tapped the side of his head for emphasis, though he hadn't really used his telepathy on Jim, but sometimes the thought was more than enough to get people to start telling the truth. "Obviously whomever it is didn't brief you very well. There are no Magistrates or human civil guard. Humans have disappeared from the island once Magneto took over. The new President of Genosha's a mutant himself," he spoke with distaste not because Thad was a mutant but because they were discussing him, "outed himself ages ago, and wouldn't let the registration happen here. Not when no humans are allowed in the country"

His expression never left the calm poker face he wore, but in his eyes his frustration at the man was starting to boil over. "Now, I'll ask you again, who do you work for, and what the hell are you doing here? And no funny movements Jim." He tapped the side of his head again. "I'll know."

MultipleMan
11-26-2007, 05:00 AM
Jim finished his drink thoroughly hating the taste of it, but hating his situation further. He really could have gone for a stiff drink, here was not where he should have been. The man presently rolled his shoulders and gave a fake laugh, to add to his new found mood. Adjusting the tie that was beginning to feel rather tight on his neck, Jim cleared his throat several times. Having composed himself, Maddox assumed a slightly different personality to match the steadily darkening mood.

The thing about a telepath was there weren't many surprises for them, Jim shrugged. Obviously the jig was up. "That's real impressive that trick" he observed casually. The names of different organizations spouted from the man's mouth and Jim looked on dissapointed, he swirled the ice in his otherwise empty glass. "Spy, hmm well there's been times where I have been applied as an observer. Similar in most respects." He tried a grin, hopefully that little admittance might win some favour.

And then it hit the fan."Obviously whomever it is didn't brief you very well. There are no Magistrates or human civil guard. Humans have disappeared from the island once Magneto took over. The new President of Genosha's a mutant himself,"

So the matter of trust was perhaps stalled, but not broken. It didn't matter Jim was a business man, he would win Rolf over yet with an offer and as cliched as it was one that he couldn't refuse. Maddox looked down, even though the guy could get a good glimpse of what was going on in his face just from his telepathy, Jim dared not meet Rolf's gaze. Jim reached out and pulled the folder away from the table surface. He made to get up and then on a second thought stopped himself.

"Okay so you got me.. sorry for the misunderstanding." under the table Jim's leg shook absent mindedly, his foot bouncing on the base of the table. "There are other agencies than the ones you mentioned, certain alliances of sorts. Let's face it your an intelligent sort of guy and you have some aspirations right? Money, a long uneventful life, power maybe.. I have an offer, one that I could easily pass onto you, all you have to do is bring some of those lovely students of yours to a pre-designated location" he shrugged, there was the potential threat and danger that the guy would just go nuts on Jim. After all just moments ago Jim had tried to trick the man into the same deal and now he had the guile to try a new angle. "I belong to a group named the Dark riders, we serve the Eternal one. You know big blue, grey, metal guy goes buy the name of Apocalypse. Well anyway, you could hand over your school and the students, we'd take good care of em. Promise"

Maddox knew the deal, survival of the fittest. He was caught up in the whole thing himself, he served and was rewarded for it. It was a real simple arrangement really. As far as he knew his life ceased to exist and Apocalypse had picked him up amongst dozens of other dead dupes and offered him a new purpose. Sure there were a few negatives to the whole thing, but damnit that ancient Egyptian guy was a suave son of a bitch and he couldn't remember a day where he wasn't thankful for those mixed up Darwinian ideals.

((is brain deaded.. hollar at me if this needs to be edited Desp))