.: VITAL STATS
Codename: Cannonball
Alias/Nick: Jetass, Cannonballs
Height: 6"0'
Weight: 181lbs
Hair Color: Blonde
Eye Color: Blue-Grey
Place of Birth: Cumberland County, Kentucky
Relatives: Thomas Zebulon (father, deceased), Lucinda (mother), Joshua/Jay (brother), Paige (Husk, sister), Joelle (sister), Elisabeth (sister), Jeb (brother), Lewis (brother), two other unnamed sisters, Lucas Bartholomew
Group Affiliation: X-Factor

.: MUTANT/EXTRAORDINARY ABILITIES
X-Factor: Cannonball possesses the ability to bodily generate thermo-chemical energy and release it through his skin. Accompanied by smoke, flame, and condensation, the equal and opposite reaction to this energy release propels his body through the air like a human rocket. Originally, Cannonball was unable to stop the propulsion until his immediate store of energy was depleted or until he hit an object of sufficient mass to stop him. With practice, however, Cannonball can now cut off his propulsive power at will. Through intense training Sam has learned to develop his powers in even more creative ways such as a high degree manoeuvrability at super speed, silencing the audible sound of his field, rushing attacks, powered punches, and shields.

As a side effect of forming the thermo-chemical energies over the surface of his body, Cannonball is rendered virtually invulnerable while in flight. Accompanying the release of energy is a half-inch thick energy field that channels the explosion and protects his skin from the direct effects of the blast. It also negates momentum and related effects, thereby cushioning his body from any impact up to a half-minute from the depletion of his energy. Cannonball's "blast field" extends to any person or object with which he is in physical contact, and he can extend it further by concentrating to form a protective shield, even while standing still. Cannonball is also able to absorb kinetic energy through the field he generates and use it to either strengthen his field or redirect it as concussive force.

Cannonball once recovered from mortal injuries that left him seemingly dead. It has been theorized that Cannonball's recovery was an indication that he was an External, one of a group of immortal mutants. However, since it has subsequently been demonstrated that even Externals can be permanently killed, doubt has been cast on his alleged immortality.

Skills/Weapons/Other: Sam owes his education to the culmination of some of the greatest mutant minds and tacticians in the world such as Xavier, Magneto, Cable and Pete Wisdom. Cannonball has been trained in many para-military, covert and subterfuge operations. As such he is of peak human conditioning due to intense daily training and advanced hand to hand combat skills. Cable has introduced several forms of weapon for Cannonball to familiarise himself with and has furthered his marksmanship training with SHIELD. He has obtained leadership skills, and has studied the battlefield to become a credible tactician in his own right. Sam has earned himself a pilots licence and can operate heavy vehicles as well as a variety of mining equipment. He has completed a business degree and is an amateur astrologist.

Sam has kept records for improving his teams performance and has made use of his tactical thinking by writing game plans and manoeuvres that he believes will allow X-Factor to perform at their peak.

Weaknesses: When not using his abilities, Sam is vulnerable like any other normal person. He can use his blast field underwater and in the vacuum of space, but he must wear appropriate protective clothing and have some source of breathable air. Although Cannonball has had practice with protecting his mind from psychic probes, he could potentially be shut down or have his perceptions interfered with to cause him to stop blasting and become vulnerable to attack. It is theorised that Sam is an External, but even they can be killed, if he was decapitated then there would be little chance of him returning.

.: PERSONAL DETAILS
Physical Description: Samuel started off as a tall gawky teen with a blond buzz cut hair do. He has since filled out muscle wise and has an athletic build with an enviable physique and boyish good looks. Sam's steely blue eyes are clear and deep as they give a sense intelligence and quiet thoughtfulness. He has a workers hands that are strong and weathered both by farming, mining and fighting. Having been deputised as a SHIELD operative, Sam generally wears a modified uniform that serves to protect him when not using his blast field and for storage. Several compartments, pockets and straps keeps it all together along with his badge that he wears proudly. Cannonball often wears either a set of old aviator goggles or a set of tactical red tinted glasses from the Nexus Universe.

When in casual wear, Sam prefers wearing a singlet or flannelette shirt and a pair of faded jeans or dungarees and cowboy boots. He has sometimes been called hayseed and occasionally chews on a straw in typical fashion. Sam isn't really all that adventurous when it comes to clothes wear, he has in the past been dressed by the famous performer and sometimes thief, Lila Cheney and has worn some very out there leather get ups which were appealing to her sensibilities but rather embarrassing to the good ol' boy Kentuckian.

Personality:He is honest and down to earth, he is very caring and considerate, and although he can get intimidated by his idols the X-Men he can still hold his own. Both Cable and Sam have developed a father-son type of relationship, filling a void in each of their lives. Has the ability to lead as shown when he was a member of X-Force and has proven himself on several occaisions. He is not a Cyclops clone or substitute, can be likened to Luke Skywalker as the nieve farmboy that would achieve greatness.

He is responsible beyond his calling and fights for what he believes in, which is generally justice and equality. Sam can be stubborn and does have a temper, but it is slow to anger and quick to forgive. He is especially thoughtful to his old alumni and team mates and is especially protective of them as the oldest of the New Mutants class and the team leader for the defunct X-Force.

-History:Sam Guthrie is a mutant whose latent superhuman abilities first manifested themselves when he was trapped with co-workers in a coal mine. The stress of trying to save his partner and himself triggered his propulsive power and enabled them to escape. Donald Pierce, a renegade member of the Inner Circle of the Hellfire Club, located Guthrie and learned of his superhuman powers by means of a machine the Hellfire Club had built by adapting plans they had stolen from Professor Xavier's Cerebro device. Pierce recruited Guthrie to be one of his operatives, and sent him into battle against Xavier and his newly organized group, the New Mutants. However, during the battle, he refused to obey Pierce's order to kill the New Mutants, and Pierce attempted to kill Guthrie in retaliation. Xavier, however, saved Guthrie's life by defeating Pierce. Realizing that Guthrie was not an evil person, Xavier invited him to join the New Mutants, and Cannonball rose to become one of the New Mutants' leaders.

When the mutant warrior from the far future, Cable, reorganized the New Mutants into X-Force, Cannonball became a member of the new team. On one of X-Force's first missions, Cannonball was apparently slain in combat by Sauron, a member of the Toad's new Brotherhood of Evil Mutants. However, Cannonball soon returned to life and full health. Cable theorized that Cannonball was one of the Externals, a small number of immortal mutants. Whether or not Cannonball really is an External remains to be seen.
*www.marveldirectory.com* (http://www.marveldirectory.com*)

Recently, Sam graduated from his leadership role on the mutant team, X-Force, to the X-Men. Through his commitment to the team and his relationship with Cable, Xavier has persuaded Cannonball to join Cable on the team known as X-Factor and to keep an eye on team development as well as report Cable's activities.

-Sample Roleplay:
Sam picked up the phone and dialed the number and instinctively looked around to make sure the coast was clear. He could count the seconds as he began twitching and impatiently tapping his foot against the floor. "Come on, come on!" He exclaimed, twiddling his index finger and thumb through the phone cord he waiting and then at last.. "Mah! what took you so long? Oh yeah it's great are ya'll ok? uhuh shore shore, now hey don't be worryin' bout me I just wanna know if you 'n the others are 'k?" He breathed out in relief and relaxed a bit, not really listening as to what was being said just comforted at that familiar voice. Biting his lower lip he was hesitating now and could hear the voice down the line echo again "Sammy are you listenin' to me?" he put his head down and in a hushed voice began to build up the confidence to ask her "Hey mah, um I just need to know if you know.. Um if you don't get better I could always fly by and look after everyone. I don't want you to be burdened any more than you need be." He places his palm to his forehead and listens to the attitude that he receives after that remark. "I know mah, I just thought with you being ill is all. Anyway look I gotta love ya n' leave someone else wants use the now 'k? Yes, I will. Love ya too." With that he places the handset back down on the receiver, scratched his stubbly chin and cursed himself under his breath "Shoulda known, I can lead a team of crack shot mutants against all the odds and come up smelling o' roses, but I can't for the life o' me talk that woman down once she gots it in her head! Got admire her tho." and with that Samuel Guthrie aka Cannonball launches up and traverses past the stairs and into the second floor narrowly missing other house mates and grimacing as the door to his room flies into view.

-Player Name:Iceslushee
-Player Contact Info: gibbajabba@hotmail.com, cannonballg1 on AIM